Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced staff for the above position reporting to General Manager Legal and Compliance based at Level 7, BSP Life Centre, Thomson Street, Suva.
As Manager Legal reporting to General Manager Legal and Compliance, you will be required to provide legal advice to various business units and subsidiaries of BSP Life (Fiji) Limited, including vetting of all contractual/commercial documents and where necessary represent BSP Life in any litigation matters. The incumbent is also required to ensure compliance with external regulations by the company and its employees.
- Working closely with General Manager Legal and Compliance in providing legal advice to our various business units (including commercial, employment, company, property and insurance law), advising on regulatory obligations, researching the law and company policies relating to the advice requested, and drafting appropriate responses.
- Assisting with Company Secretarial work for BSP Life and subsidiaries and drafting various commercial and contractual documents for both.
- Drafting applicable documentation relating to our subsidiary companies and investment portfolio.
- Assisting with regulatory compliance by the company and driving active management of compliance risk with procedures supporting consistent and co-ordinated identification, management and reporting of compliance risk matters throughout existing and new business initiatives.
- Involvement in Insurance and Human Resource dispute resolution and litigation work, including preparation of matters for hearing, instructing counsel at hearings, prosecuting internal disciplinary matters, appearing for BSP Life in employment arbitration proceedings and limited court appearances.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
This is a unique career progression opportunity and it is essential that you have the following:
A law degree from a reputable university with a current practicing certificate;
Two to eight years post-qualification experience with a minimum of two years' experience with a highly-regarded law firm;
- A strong understanding and knowledge of commercial law and the business environment in which that law operates;
- Excellent analytical and research skills;
- Hands-on experience in contract analysis, negotiation and preparation, drafting memoranda, legal opinions and internal policies;
- The discipline to work effectively and efficiently and to observe tight timeframes without supervision;
- A proven ability to analyse complex or technical information and to accurately assess legal risks and provide sensible solutions;
- The ability to exercise strategic, practical and sound judgement in third party dealings;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both oral and written are mandatory;
- An excellent team player able to motivate and assist other staff in the team;
- Must be able to work flexible hours;
- Experience in the insurance and/or compliance field would be an advantage as would an in-depth understanding, analysis and problem solving in procedural and compliance matters as well as assessing the likely business impact of new and changing regulations and legislation.
- Leading Others
- Decision Making
This is a demanding yet satisfying management role within a growing organization and an appropriate salary package will be negotiated to secure a high calibre candidate.
Applications including detailed CVs and transcripts should be marked addressed as follows:-
The Head of Human Resources
BSP Life (Fiji) Limited
Level 7 BSP Life Centre
Private Mail Bag
Applications may also be emailed to email@example.com.
Applications close at 4pm on Friday 28 December 2018.